Mondo Spider is a ridable mechanical eight-legged walking machine. It was designed and built in 2005 and 2006 by team, based in Vancouver (Canada): Leigh Christie, Jonathan Tippett, Charlie Brison, Alex Mossman, Dillard Brinson, Sam Meyer and Ryan Johnston. Also team consisted of a range of volunteers-helpers.
The Mondo Spider does the walking motion utilizing the Klann Linkage. The Klann Linkage is a planar mechanism was developed by Joe Klann in 1994 and designed to simulate the gait of legged animal and function as a wheel replacement.
The first power source of Mondo Spider was a Honda V-twin engine and a system of hydraulic pumps and motors, which was upgraded in January 2010 as part of the Mondo Spider ‘0 Emissions’ program.
The vehicle has a carrying capacity of one person and a maximum speed of around 1.2 m/s. Its weight is 730 kg, length – 2.4 m, width – 2.4 m, height – 1.5 m, gross power – 18 kW, maximum range – 14 km.
Now Mondo Spider affiliated with the Vancouver-based charity eatART foundation. It has fascinated and continues to delight the spectators of the Burning Man festival, Vancouver Art Gallery and numerous television appearances.
1. Mondo Spider. – Mode of access: http://www.mondospider.com/.
2. Mondo spider. – Mode of access: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondo_spider.
3. Mondo Spider. – Mode of access: http://www.mondospider.com/images/output/spider1.jpg.
4. Sam demonstrating the Mondo Spider during the unveiling. – Mode of access: http://www.mondospider.com/videos/SamRidesTheBeast.avi.
5. Klann linkage. – Mode of access: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klann_Linkage.
6. Механизм Кланна. – Mode of access: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D0%B5%D1%85%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BC_%D0%9A%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%B0.
7. File:F4-motion.gif. – Mode of access: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F4-motion.gif.
8. Patent US6260862 – Walking device – Google Patents. – Mode of access: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=6260862.
9. Patent US6364040 – Walking device – Google Patents. – Mode of access: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=6364040.
10. Patent US6478314 – Walking device – Google Patents. – Mode of access: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=6478314.
11. MECHANICAL SPIDER. – Mode of access: http://www.mechanicalspider.com/.
12. eatART | ART with Energy. – Mode of access: http://eatart.org/.
13. Burning Man // What is Burning Man? // 2006 // funded art. – Mode of access: http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/2006/06_art_funded.html#Mondo.
1 This file is reproduced according to written permission from the official representative of the Mondo Spider Project.
2 Author, Joseph Klann, released this work into the public domain.