The iBOT is a robotic wheelchair developed by Dean Kamen in a partnership between DEKA and Johnson and Johnson’s Independence Technology division. It is a medical technology, made to help people with severe mobility problems.
The iBOT has a number of features distinguishing it from most powered wheelchairs:
1). A special software package called iBALANCE receives data via various sensors and gyroscopes, allowing the iBOT to maintain balance during certain maneuvers.
2). The iBOT can move up and down stairs, by rotating its two sets of powered wheels about each other.
3). It allows the user to rise from a sitting level to approximately 180 cm tall, measured from the ground to the top of the head.
4). The iBOT is capable of remote control operation, useful for parking actions when wheelchair is not occupied.
5). It can climb and descend curbs ranging from 0.25 to 12.7 cm, according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
6). The iBOT is capable of traveling through many types of terrain, including sand, gravel, and water up to 7.62 cm deep.
Johnson and Johnson company has an official right for promotion of iBOT at market.
1. Independence Technology, L.L.C.. – Mode of access: http://www.ibotnow.com/.
2. iBOT. – Mode of access: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBOT.
3. File:Clinton-kamen.jpg. – Mode of access: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clinton-kamen.jpg.
4. Dean Kamen. – Mode of access: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Kamen.
5. Кеймен, Дин. – Mode of access: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B5%D0%B9%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD,_%D0%94%D0%B8%D0%BD.
6. “Родственник” Segway – инвалидное кресло на гироскопах – Наука и техника – Транспорт – Нетрадиционные виды транспорта – Segway – Компьюлента. – Mode of access: http://science.compulenta.ru/35718/.
7. ibot balances on 2 wheels. – Mode of access: http://www.youtube.com/embed/xyZ2CD-RUCQ.
8. Robotics : State of the Art and Future Challenges / George A. Bekey [et al.]. – London : Imperial College Press, 2008. – 144 p.
1 As a work of the U.S. federal government, the image is in the public domain.