The Mobile Servicing System (MSS), better known by its primary component Canadarm2, is a robotic system and associated equipment on the International Space Station (ISS). Launched to the ISS in 2001, it plays a key role in station assembly and maintenance. Canadarm2 moves equipment and supplies around the station, supports astronauts working in space, and services instruments and other payloads attached to the ISS.
The MSS is composed of the actual arm called Space Station Remote Manipulator System (SSRMS), the Mobile Remote Servicer Base System (MBS) and the Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator (SPDM also known as Dextre or Canada hand). The system can move along rails on the Integrated Truss Structure on top of the US provided Mobile Transporter cart. The system’s control software was written in the Ada 95 programming language.
Canadarm2 is 17.6 meters long when fully extended and has seven motorized joints. It has a mass of 1800 kilograms and a diameter of 35 cm. The arm is capable of handling large payloads of up to 116000 kg and was able to assist with docking the Space Shuttle (the last mission of Space Shuttle, STS-135, was completed in July, 2011). On May 25, 2012 the capsule of SpaceX Dragon (it is the first commercially-built and operated spacecraft, USA) was successfully captured and docked to the Harmony module of ISS with help of Canadarm2.
The MSS was designed and manufactured by MDA Space Missions for the Canadian Space Agency’s contribution to the ISS.
1. Canadarm2. – Mode of access: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadarm2.
2. Канадарм2. – Mode of access: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%BC2.
3. File:STS-114 Steve Robinson on Canadarm2.jpg. – Mode of access: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/File:STS-114_Steve_Robinson_on_Canadarm2.jpg.
4. MDA Space Missions. – Mode of access: http://sm.mdacorporation.com/.
5. Canadarm2 and the Mobile Servicing System. – Mode of access: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/mss.html.
6. Canadarm2 and the Mobile Servicing System: Subsystems. – Mode of access: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/subsystems.html.
7. The Amazing Canadarm2. – Mode of access: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast18apr_1/.
8. NASA – Multimedia – Video Gallery // Dragon Grappled and Berthed to Station. – Mode of access: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=144576411.
1 This file is in the public domain because it was created by NASA.